First dates are nerve-wracking, we all know that.
In some, you feel an immediate chemistry with your date and the conversation just flows naturally. In others… things don’t go as smoothly. And if there’s one thing no one enjoys during a first date is an awkward silence.
So what do you do when the conversation doesn’t seem to be going anywhere? You decide to say the first thing that comes to mind. And well, that’s always risky.
Keep reading to learn seven things you should never ask on a first date and make sure you don’t ruin your chances from the get-go!
- “Why are you single?”: You might be saying this as a compliment, but trust us, it won’t come off as one. It’ll only make it sound like there’s something wrong with being single.
- “Tell me about yourself”: Too vague! Your date will likely not know what to say, so just ask a specific question and you’ll have much higher chances of actually starting a conversation.
- “Are you actually going to eat all of that?”: Food shaming is never cool. Period.
- “How many people have you slept with?”: 100% none of your business, especially on a first date.
- “What led to your last breakup?”: Keep it light and happy! Mentioning the person’s exes is definitely a no-no.
- “What’s your favorite sex position?”: This type of information is way too personal to share when you first meet someone. If things go well, you’ll find the answer eventually!
- “Do you want to have kids?”: Even if you ask this out of pure curiosity, this question is way too intense to ask on a first date. Wait it out for this one.
Knowing what to say during any date is simply a matter of common sense. Our rule of thumb is, if it sounds too intense or personal, don’t ask it. Keep that in mind and you’ll have some awesome conversations with your dates. Good luck and happy dating!