At Jaumo, user satisfaction and quality assurance are a priority. See how our Anti-Fraud System works and learn how to detect fakes, romance scammers, and spam.
How we fight fakes and romance scammers
Our Anti-Fraud System
Our system scans for unusual activity, like messages to many users
Encrypted data transmission and the highest security standards
Our 24/7 support team reacts quickly to every suspicious activity
Abuse reports by our members are processed within minutes
97.30 % real people
The vast majority of users were verified as real people. Over 100,000 new members signed up in the last 24 hours.
2.70 % fraudsters
We delete all fraudster accounts including all their conversations, photos and activities like visits or matches.
Anti-Fraud-System health status:
Average time (median) to bust a fraudster in the last 24 hours:
About online dating fraud and romance scam
How dating- and romance scam works
To be honest, you will find dubious members on all flirt and dating apps. At Jaumo we do our best to keep this problem as low as possible and the number of cases small. Unlike other vendors, we do not sweep the issue under the carpet or just claim that we do something for your online dating safety. We are proactive, open and transparent. Learn more about online dating fraud and how you can protect yourself.
A fake is a profile with phony data. Some people only make a few false statements in their profile. Others upload stolen photos or even show up as a completely different person.
The motivation for this is different. For example, the creator wants to be more attractive than he really is or enjoys the attention he gets with the fake profile.
The term scamming means cheating. Scammers are the modern marriage swindler who makes commitments or promises of love with the intention of getting money.
They often come from abroad. A common variant is to get money for a flight ticket for a personal acquaintance or a sudden emergency that has occurred.
Spammers are sending advertisements to lure people to other websites or apps. They promise closer contact, more pictures, an adult webcam session or whatever, with the aim of following an allegedly better or safer offer.
They want to get users to move the conversation over to another site to close the deal.
How do I recognize a fraudster?
Examples of stolen photos used for fraud profiles:
Many romance scammers appear as soldiers, engineers, oil contractors, architects or doctors. They show themselves on the stolen photos mostly as an attractive white person. Female scammers often show pictures of nurses, doctors, models or fashion designers. They create typical profiles as a beautiful Russian, South American or Thai woman. Common male names are John, Richard, Robert or Thomas. Popular female names are Mary, Rose or Linda.
Take off the rose-colored glasses
Are you swamped by exuberant love stories? Do the photos show a person who is very attractive and the narrated story sounds too beautiful to be true? Does everything happen to you very quickly and as in a dream? Did the first message perhaps already arrive, when you had not even uploaded a profile picture? Is the profile credible? If an attractive 20-year-old woman is looking for a man of all ages and the appearance does not matter, it’s time to be suspicious.
Strange language in conversations
Often, the creators use translation programs for communication and share wording patterns with others. Here are some examples of language and wordings frequently used by romance scammers:
I am a God fearing man/woman
I am looking for an honest man
I am looking for a serious woman
I am a sincere man/woman
I am so much blessed to have you in my life
Personal meeting not possible
Does your flirt partner always find a new reason why a meeting can’t happen or the date is always canceled with short notice? Time to check for other suspicious signs.
How do I protect myself?
Dating safety tips
- Stay as long as you want anonymously and do not let yourself be pushed to a tempo where you do not feel comfortable. Do not give out any information that you’d rather keep to yourself.
- Do not give out any phone numbers or contact information (Skype, Whatsapp, e-mail address, home address, workplace) to someone you do not know yet. Communication via Jaumo is fast and secure – there is no reason to go elsewhere.
- Never send any money to strangers. Especially not to someone you have recently met on the internet.
- Are you unsure? Report the profile and we’ll check it manually. Use the report function in the flirt partner’s profile. By using this feature, you actively contribute to making Jaumo better.
So can I not trust anyone anymore?
If you are looking for a relationship, you should also be open to new things. Too much mistrust can prevent you from falling in love, and pessimistic persons usually look less attractive.
Not every request is from a fraudster – quite the opposite: in Jaumo such cases are also present but to a very small extent. We show you how small this is with real-time data. It is no coincidence that Jaumo is one of the top rated dating apps in the App Stores as we have one of the best systems for fighting fraudsters. Online dating safety is a priority for us.
Dating tips and online dating safety
A useful guideline to date smartly and safely
Never give personal information to people you don’t know. This includes your passwords, home address, where you work, your phone number, instant messenger details, credit card number, bank information, social security number or passport. We will never ask you for any of this information in an e-mail, message or support ticket. On Jaumo, your dating safety is very important: you stay anonymous until you have established a reasonable level of trust with your flirt contact.
Do not share identifying info in your profile like your full name or place of work. We recommend not uploading photos with your children.
Always use caution and trust your instincts. Don’t give your complete life story the first time you chat with someone. Use the block function if you don’t want to have contact with someone. Report all suspicious behavior. For younger members: chat only with people your age.
Requests for money should be a red flag. There is no reason for anyone to ask you for money or your financial information, whatever emergency or sad story they give. Stop all contact immediately and report the profile via the abuse function in the profile.
- Take your time before you date offline. Get to know the person better first.
- Meet in a public place on your first date. When you meet in a bar or a restaurant, for example, there are enough witnesses when something goes wrong with your date. Never meet someone at home on the first date or invite him/her to your home until you know the person better.
- Arrange your own transportation to and from the meeting place. Do not rely on somebody else or give your home address.
- Tell a friend or family member about your date including details about where you are meeting, who the person you want to meet is and how long you want to stay. Provide more information about the individual like a name and phone number. Take your fully charged mobile with you and arrange a check-up phone call or text with your friend.
- Stay in control. Stay sober. Make sure you don’t drink too much and keep your drink and all your belongings nearby all the time.